Final Project Overview
MetaChair MC : Bio-Plastic & waste textiles Composite nicotine vape pen material as a working prototype for seating and other fuctions.
- Textile Waste
- Textile Bioplastic composite
The word Meta has many meanings.
To start, in greek, Meta means “with, across, or after”; I personally find this synonymous with the process of creating textiles, like combining or crossing or even weaving yarns or techniques.
Meta as it Metamorphosis, can also “denote a change of position or condition”. This to me refers to the changing state of the waste textiles to another type of material or state. It will hopefully be demonstrated in the physical, more flexible composite for the chair seat.
Meta in Chemistry it means “denoting a compound formed by dehydration”, which refers to the process of the agar solution drying.
Metaphoric meaning with what the chair represents as it will be a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of consumer and industry habits of producing waste.
(answers can also be, because why not?)
By experimenting and testing this, we will find if it is a good idea and what happens to biocomposite after a while. Possibly better as it is a waste, to let with something that can decompose rather than not)
Why bioplastic and not resin?
The bioplastic will eventually biodegrade and become part of the earth. Whether with natural or unatural fibres 679995 alexander mcqueen casual shoes for women in the textiles, giving them a second, third or even a forth use, will be better that them sitting in a landfill, a waterway or being burnt
Kind to animals and gelatin also smells!
Why a chair?
A chair has being the beginning design block for many designers. It will be a welcome challenge to change the traditional properties of fabrics to something unexpected as well as use the waste in an innovative way. I also have a background in upholstery and am looking to build upon this. Past examples of textile composites
What did you learn in the process? What would you do differently? What do you plan to do next? Will there be a follow-up on this?
- Textile Scaffold
Workflow Overview – Programs, Machines & Tools
- Rhinoceros 3D
- Cura 3D Printing software
- OctoPrint Web Interface
- TROTEC Medium format Laser Cutter
- ShopBot Milling Machine
- FDM REPRAP 1 3D Printer
- Industrial Oven & Domestic Fan Oven
- Pressure/Strength testing Machine
Tools & accessories
- Powertool drill, clamps, belt-sander, cylinder sander, hand-block sander
- Pots, pans, silicone tray, metal tray, silicone & wooden utensils, kitchen knife and spoons, metal poles
Workflow Overview – Research & Development
- Experimenting with bioplastic solutions/binders
- Bioplastics and waste textiles integration
- Testing textile composites with different machines & tools
- Researching, Requesting and collecting waste textiles from Suppliers
- Sorting textiles (size, composition, colour, structural & technical properties)
Designs & Processes
- Hand drawn sketches of chairs, concepts, technical aspects and dimensions
- Making & using moulds
- Creating forms & structures with pieces